Dad’s away again for the weekend – Booo 👎🏻At least this time it’s for fun and his ultimate frisbee team won all their games, so is now headed to nationals! But still, we’d rather him be here with us. That said, we’re not just gonna sit around and do nothing… … … right??? 😜
Soooo…. our morning consisted of: breakfast, a living room dance sesh, a walk around the neighborhood with TWO dogs (we’re dog-sitting for a friend), then off to the playground to meet a goooooood friend, snacks, then a lil 7mile bike ride on our favorite bike path, then lunch at one of our favorite cafes, and THEN there just so happened to be a sweet surprise festival going on once we finished lunch, so of course, we had to stay for like…4 songs. 🤗Thatcher LOVED it!!! ❤️🎷🎸🥁🎹🎤🎉 And we still got home in time for a 2pm nap! For both of us. Ha!
Ahhhhhhhhh….love love love days like this!!!!
But how the heck did we make this all happen in ONE morning, with 2 dogs, one toddler, a bike, other people, snacks, lunch, diapers and naps to all consider??
In a nutshell… Organization, Routine, and Familiar locations.
- First, where other people are involved, that needs to be coordinated first. Right when you wake up, text your friend to see if she wants to meet at the park at X time – and give yourself plenty of time to get out the door! 🙂 This particular time happened to work out well because this friend typically does hit this playground after their music class. Yaay!!!!
- Next, where you can be in the moment, BE IN THE MOMENT. It only takes a moment. 😉 We happen to play music often with breakfast, so it’s pretty easy to break into a sweet lil dance sesh once we’re done. That is, if you agree with yourself to take the moment to do it. Which can be hard to do.
- Next, walk the dogs. Welp, I don’t have too many tips here. Walking 2 dogs with one toddler (who decides he wants to be carried for most of it) isn’t easy. Just plan your timing accordingly and be prepared to sweat. Hence, why you’ll pretty much always see me in workout clothes these days… Because everything with a toddler is a workout. ha!
- Then, organization and routine! Having a routine of healthy snack options and water bottles that you can grab quickly on your way out the door is key! This time, I grabbed 2 apples, a kid’s container with trail mix, 2 string cheeses, and a nectarine. And having diapers and wipes already loaded, and knowing exactly where all the bike stuff is and keeping it accessible… is the only way it can work.
- Now, I didn’t reeeeaally know our plans beyond meeting our friend at the playground. If we both did lunch at the cafe afterwards and headed straight home, that would have been a great morning too!! But having my bike as an option, was also nice, and because it was easy to grab everything, it really wasn’t too much extra work. And it worked out well that we brought it, since she indeed had to head home.
- Familiarity with where you’re going is key for this kinda busy schedule. There’s no way we could have checked out a NEW place and still done all of that. I knew the playground was close to the bike path and also close to the cafe, and that’s the only way it worked.
- And then, just reading your kid’s mood, being on top of their food/water/diaper needs, and yourself, being able to just go with the flow all definitely help!
So, hopefully that helps explain how we do it, and maybe will even motivate any of you guys to dare to schedule multiple activities on top of each other. We do it when we’re on vacation… We find that there are so many more hours in the day when we’re on vacation… Why not live like you’re on vacation? 🏖☺️👌🏻
**Head on over to The Active Parent Instagram or Facebook account to see more pics and a short little video. 🙂
>> SUBSCRIBE to this blog to get notifications of when new blogs get posted!
>> SHARE this post with a friend that you think might benefit from these tips!!
>> FOLLOW our adventures and additional tips on Instagram and Facebook as well!
>> VISIT the Shop for highly recommended gear to help you more easily be the Active Parent you want to be!